United States claims Syria strike, denies targeting mosque where 46 killed

Kristopher Drake
March 18, 2017

As many as 42 people, mostly civilians, have died in an air strike on a mosque in a rebel-held village in northern Syria, a monitoring group says.

The UK-based observatory, which relays information from sources on the ground in Syria, said the mosque was packed with worshippers for evening prayers.

The US Central Command said today it would "look into any allegations of civilian casualties in relation to this strike", which was carried out unilaterally by the United States. Reports indicate that there must have been at least 300 people inside the mosque when the air raid took place.

"I passed by the hospital, I was told that about 50 were killed and 50 wounded", he said.

Previously, the Central Intelligence Agency could only stake out potential targets and report them back to Pentagon officials, who would then make decisions on potential strikes.

Tahrir al-Sham was formed in January from a merger of several Islamist factions and Syria's former al-Qaeda affiliate, known as the Nusra Front until it cut ties with al-Qaeda a year ago.


According to Oakford, officials said American fighter jets were targeting an Al-Qaeda meeting place across from the mosque.

Davis said the USA believes there were some high ranking individuals there, but he did not identify them, and said the U.S.is still assessing the results of the strike. The group has branches in other countries.

On March 16, the US-led coalition, carrying out attacks against the Islamic State (also known as ISIS), struck a mosque in al-Jinah, a village in western Aleppo, killing dozens.

Reasons for the discrepancy in location were not immediately clear.

Just last week a Pentagon investigation into a USA attack on Yemeni village which killed dozens of women and children absolved military personnel of any war crimes.

Other reports by Ligue1talk

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER