Han Solo film has 'very usable' footage shot by fired directors

Tomas Mccoy
June 27, 2017

It's official: Oscar-winning director Ron Howard is taking over the reins of Lucasfilm's Han Solo "Star Wars" spinoff.

And Ron couldn't be happier to be working on the movie as he's been a huge fan of the Star Wars franchise for decades.

The directors felt they had been given "zero creative freedom", with the Han Solo film, and, they began to feel the weight of what they called "extreme scheduling constraint". It is fair to imagine the mighty displeasure of the Star Wars-viewing populace were such a thing to be mishandled.

"When I was being directed by George Lucas on 'American Graffiti in 1972, we were standing out in front of Mel's Drive-In in San Francisco where we were shooting and I said 'do you know what you think your next film might be?'"


Submit your Great Job, Internet tips here. Kennedy and screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan apparently became frustrated by how slow the film was progressing with the latter also being unhappy with how often Lord and Miller would encourage the actors to go off-script.

Speaking to sources close to both the production of the movie and the ousted directors Miller and Lord, the Hollywood Reporter alleges multiple situations indicative of a deep, growing difference between the duo and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. "You have to make decisions much earlier than what they're used to", one source told T.H.R.

Lord and Miller also shot some scenes by delivering improvised lines to the actors. According to some reports, Lucasfilm producers were not only concerned about the directors approach to the material, but also the performance they were getting out of star Alden Ehrenreich. Some insiders say that while the talent of Lord and Miller is undeniable, nothing in their background prepared them for a movie of this size and scope.

Whether this was more to do with Ehrenreich's inability to excel under Lord and Miller's direction and improvisational filmmaking - compared to his fellow cast members, at least - or not is unclear at this stage, but as THR stresses: "Hiring a coach is not unusual; hiring one that late in production is". "The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause", reports THR. The as-yet-untitled Star Wars anthology film is scheduled to hit theaters on May 25, 2018. So even though we love Lord and Miller's work, maybe letting them go was the best for the Han Solo film.

Other reports by Ligue1talk

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER