Case of critically-ill baby back in court after Pope, Trump support

Toni Houston
July 12, 2017

The hospital gave no details of the new medical information, but British media and the infant's parents, Chris Gard and Connie Yates, have highlighted treatment at several US hospitals.

Here in Britain, Charlie Gard is an 11-month-old baby who suffers from a very rare inherited disease which means he can not move his arms or legs.

The U.K. High Court will rehear the case of Charlie Gard Thursday in light of new evidence produced by two worldwide hospitals for Gard's treatment.

The hospital had to stop keeping the baby alive as a result of a court ruling by its parents.

A British court on Monday began re-examining the case of a terminally ill baby whose life support is due to be withdrawn at a London hospital, after Pope Francis and US Donald Trump intervened in the case.

"Mum and Dad say that if Charlie is still fighting then they are still fighting", the spokesperson added.

Last week, a Vatican hospital also offered to treat Charlie, who is having a mitochondrial depletion syndrome - a disease that has rendered him unable to eat, breathe or move his limbs on his own.

The hospital requested a review of the justice after the publication of a letter from the Bambino Gesu Hospital in the Vatican, which presented its research and recommended that the Great Ormond Street Hospital "reconsider" its position.

Grant Armstrong, speaking for Gard's parents, said at a hearing that a "conservative estimate" places a 10 percent chance on the experimental treatment in the US working for the baby.


British and European courts have sided with the hospital's decision that the 11-month-old's life support should end, saying therapy would not help and would cause more suffering.

"There are now seven doctors supporting us from all over the world - from Italy, from America, from England as well", Yates said Sunday when she arrived at the hospital.

Great Ormond Street Hospital applied for another court hearing because of "new evidence relating to potential treatment for his condition".

"It turned it into an global issue, a lot of people are outraged by what's going on".

The official also said the president wants to be helpful without placing undue pressure on the family.

A USA doctor has also proposed treatment for Gard.

"I did my job", he said.

Yates and Gard addressed supporters and the press outside the hospital Sunday alongside Rev. Patrick Mahoney, and said they would continue to fight for the life of their child. The document had been signed by 370,000 people.

Other reports by Ligue1talk

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER