Teenager arrested following a string of acid attacks in east London

Kristopher Drake
July 17, 2017

The victims were taken to hospital, with one of them suffering 'life-changing injuries, ' BBC News reported.

The Metropolitan Police Service said a 16-year-old boy faces 15 charges connected to five acid attacks carried out last week in London.

The male teenager is being held on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and robbery.

In an interview with LBC on Friday morning, Metropolitan Police commissioner Cressida Dick called the attacks "completely barbaric", adding, "I don't want people to think this is happening all over London all the time; it is really not".

The British Government under the PM Mrs.May, is set to launch a review on tougher sentencing for perpetrators of acid attacks after Home Secretary Amber Rudd said those found guilty should "feel the full force of the law".

The attacks first started at 10.25pm on Thursday when two male moped riders threw a corrosive substance into the face of a 32-year-old man and fled with his moped.

The attacks were reported to police over a 72-minute period, with four taking place in the eastern borough of Hackney and one in the northern borough of Islington.

Then, at around 11.05pm, the fast-moving attackers swooped on a man in Shoreditch High Street, tossing the substance in his face.


According to the police, the victims required hospital treatment as soon as possible and one victim is left with the life changing injuries.

Five separate male victims - all on mopeds - were allegedly targeted by two moped-riding attackers. One victim attacked Thursday was believed to be a delivery driver, and many delivery drivers are starting to refuse work in some areas over fears they'll be robbed. The apparent motive was to steal other riders' mopeds.

A man, 24, has been charged over the attack.

The victim has been taken to an east London hospital.

Earlier in July, a young Muslim woman and her cousin suffered "life-changing" injuries after an acid attack in east London when she was celebrating her 21st birthday.

Home Office minister Sarah Newton told the BBC Friday that while the government was considering tighter restrictions on such materials, the fact they could be found in any kitchen cupboard made legislation hard.

The Met said the incidents appeared to be linked.

Other reports by Ligue1talk

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER