Xi vows to address differences with South Korea

Phillip Butler
August 29, 2017

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said that a "projectile" had been fired on Saturday morning and that it was working to determine what kind of missile it was, according to the South's Yonhap News Agency.

He said the launches sent a signal that Pyongyang is still not prepared to back away from its nuclear and ballistic missile programs.

U.S. Pacific Command said three missiles were fired, and U.S. officials said the weapons didn't pose a threat to the United States, including its territory of Guam.

Both South Korea and the U.S. say the training is defensive in nature, but North Korea sees it as provocative and hostile.

He said that military would "proceed more thoroughly" with the ongoing Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise, a joint training drill between South Korea and the USA that started Monday.

"The reality vividly shows that the US ambition for stifling [North Korea] remains unchanged no matter how much water may flow under the bridge and the puppet group's ambition for invading the north remains unchanged", the state-run Korean Central News Agency reported. It said earlier that the third missile appears to have blown up immediately.

Shells hit islands standing in for South Korea's Baengnyeong and Yeonpyeong islands while special forces landed in rubber boats or parachuted in and "wiped out the desperate enemy with various combat methods", the Korean Central News Agency said.


Trump said Wednesday that Kim Jong-Un was "starting to respect" the United States, hours after Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said talks with the nuclear-armed North over its banned weapons programmes might be possible "in the near future".

The United States has said that three short range ballistic missiles filed by North Korea on Saturday have failed.

"We need to see more on their part, but I want to acknowledge the steps they've taken thus far", he said.

Mr Tillerson said he was "pleased" to see Pyongyang had "demonstrated some level of restraint that we've not seen in the past".

Just last week, Tillerson attempted to dial down tensions by noting there had been no missile tests or "provocative acts" from North Korea since a United Nations Security Council resolution sanctioning Pyongyang was passed earlier this month. USA officials say none of the missiles posed any threat to North America at any point.

It is also believed to be developing a solid-fuel missile that could be used for submarine launches. Although the missile has not been operationally deployed yet, it is considered a key component to the so-called “kill chain” pre-emptive strike capability the South is pursuing to cope with the Norths growing nuclear and missile threat.

In a conciliatory move before that, Tillerson said the USA was willing to sit down for talks with North Korea, but only if it relinquishes its pursuit of nuclear weapons.

Other reports by Ligue1talk

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER